The Champaign County Safety Council is operated and funded by the Champaign County Chamber of Commerce and the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation Division of Safety & Hygiene. The Safety Council is open to all companies, corporations and individual employers.
Now accepting enrollments for the 2016 fiscal year! Email the Chamber or call 937-653-5764 for more information.
Developing and maintaining a safe workplace is no easy task. That's why local companies and the community make a combined effort to develop and maintain a safe workplace.
All Ohio Safety Councils have the same goals:
- Increase safety awareness
- Prevent occupational accidents
- Provide quality occupational safety, health, and wellness programs
The Champaign County Safety Council identifies potential and existing problems and has speakers inform our group about new techniques, products and services that are available.
As a Champaign County Safety Council member your benefits are:
- The latest information regarding safety techniques, products and services
- Quality speakers
- Easy to use implementation tools
- The opportunity to network with the business community of Champaign County and beyond
- Recognition as a safe business at the annual awards banquet
- Members are also eligible for the Safety Council Discount Program, which can result in a rebate of up to 4% of their annual workers' compensation premiums. To qualify for this rebate, each member must:
- Attend 10 meetings between July 1 and June 30 of the fiscal year
- Have their CEO attend at least one meeting during the fiscal year
- Submit both semi-annual reports for the calendar year
Meeting the above will result in a 2% rebate. To qualify for the remaining 2% discount, members must:
- Reduce their frequency of claims or frequency of days absent due to injuries by 10% or more below the previous year's frequencies
- OR maintain both frequencies at zero
The Champaign County Safety Council was reorganized in 2005 and hosts monthly meetings on topics related to occupational safety, accident prevention, risk management, and workers' compensation issues.
In addition, the program allows for representatives from business and industry to network and share ideas beneficial to workplace safety. The Champaign County Safety Council includes representatives from over 30 local businesses.
The Champaign County Safety Council meets on the third Wednesday of each month at the Champaign County Community Center at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast is provided.
While there is no charge to join, a monthly charge of $20 ($10 for Chamber members) is required in order to cover the cost of breakfast provided at each meeting.
Interested in joining Safety Council? Call the Chamber at 937-653-5764 or email us by July 31, 2015 to join for the 2016 fiscal year.
All meetings are at 7:30 a.m. at the Champaign County Community Center. Most meetings are held in the large auditorium.
Safety Council members may also attend external training sessions, some of which offer external training credits that can be added to your attendance at local Safety Council sessions. Click here for a list of training opportunities.
Champaign County is conveniently nestled in the heart of west central Ohio.
- Established in 1805
- 30 miles from Columbus or Dayton; 10 miles from Springfield
- Serviced by U.S. Routes 68 and 36; within 15 miles of Interstates 70 and 75
- Blend of service, retail, manufacturing and agricultural businesses
- Miles of bike trails, hiking trails, rivers and wooded area wind its way through the county
- Population approximately 39,800; 428 square miles
- Quaint shopping, dining and art/antique shops
- Home to Warren Grimes the "father of aviation lighting"
- Well-known Champaign Countians include: William Saxbe, Clancy Brown, Johnny Appleseed and A.B. Graham
- Airport: Grimes Field (General Aviation)
- Home to Urbana University
- Destinations: Simon Kenton recreation trails, Cedar Bog, Ohio Caverns, Johnny Appleseed Museum, Mad River, Champaign County Fairgrounds, Kiser Lake State Park